Monday, January 16, 2006

the doorbell

All I wanted for Christmas this year was a door bell. We had a knocker. It was ugly. When we painted the door white we found out that not only was the Versace Knocker (as it is known in this house) ugly, it was also slightly crooked on the door. **sigh** So, I wanted an old style bell that rings when you turn the knob. Nothing fancy. Thought it would go right above the mail slot. How naive I was...

Apparently our front door is inferior. Inferior to the point of needing lots of extra wood and trim and painting. Why? I am still not quite sure but according to my husband it had something to do with not being thick enough for the bell. Many hours and much reinforcement later (yes, dear, it does sound a lot quieter, thanks!) I still don't have a doorbell. I have a thicker white door. With extra trim. What really makes this all painful is that apparently the position I chose for the doorbell - above the door knob hardware - meant he really didn't have to reinforce the door at all. He was invisioning the doorbell in the center of the door.

**sigh**

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ah, life with an architect. I know it so well.