Friday, April 28, 2006
why does the pope hate dan brown?
Ok, so I get it that they don't like the premise of the book but come on people, it is a novel. Fiction. MADE UP. Sure it may be based in fact but so was Indiana Jones and I didn't see the Vatican boycotting that movie. Jesus' crucifixion graphically and violently protrayed? That's ok! Everyone, take your 8 year old to see it - twice! A great fictional murder mystery hypothosizing that Jesus married and had kids? HERESY! Personally I am more offended by the casting of Tom Hanks than anything that could possibly be portrayed in the movie...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ah, but the problem is that the premise is NOT made up. Or at least, it's as not made up as the rest of the bible.
The whole alternate theory of the Knights Templar/Mary Magdalene-as-Jesus'-wife/Roscicrucians/Jesus-as-a-normal-man-who-had-a-family is, I think, more believable than the Jesus-as-son-of-god/magical-healer-dude crap the bible foists on us.
And the fact that the Catholic Church is SO riled up about it gives plausibility to it all. Why are they so upset, if there isnt a grain of truth to this? Me thinks they doth protest too much.
And Tom Hanks?! Fucking BLASPHEMY, man!!!
Also, what I forgot to say in my last comment is that there has been as much written about this alternate theory as there has been about the bible.
When I read The Da Vinci Code, I was impressed; Dan Brown really did his research. I've done a bit of reading on the subject...it started when I was in high school, and a friend told me of a book she was reading about the subject. Naturally, I was totally interested in anything debunking the catholic church, so I started reading.
I really do feel that the bible's editors picked & chose what they wanted to support their cause. Their cause? To get as many followers as possible; that has ALWAYS been the aim of the Catholic Church. When you can control people through religion, you have power.
The bible is a work of fiction. Sure, its authors BASED it on real-life events, but they embellished to support their cause. JUST LIKE DAN BROWN.
I cannot fucking BELIEVE that I just wrote a post about the bible. Sweet Michael Jackson's nose, what the fuck is wrong with me?!!! Anybody know any good fart jokes?
It should have been George Clooney, that's all I am saying...
As for the other part, abso-freakin-lutely it's all political on the part of the catholic church. Most of what's official has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the politics of the time when catholicism finally became the official religion of the romans. You gotta do something drastic and official when you decide to stop throwing people to the lions and make their beliefs the "correct" ones of the times... What really saddens me is that if they are so intolerant of one novel, that bodes ill for them getting along with any one. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG????
I saw a thing on public TV which stated that it would have been practically unheard of for Jesus to not have been married. There are so many (5 maybe?) things a good Jewish father does for his son: bris, bar mitzvah, wedding, not sure of the others, but you get the point. Sounds reasonable to me. Why do we care if he was married or not?
He can't be married if he is all holy and shit and ascends to heaven. And seriously, who wants to be married to a guy who can work miracles (water to wine!) but is never home?
Post a Comment