Thursday, November 17, 2005
good afternoon, mrs. cleaver, and might I say that's a lovely dress you're wearing...
So I have one of my son's friends over for a playdate this afternoon and it strikes me - my son's friends know me as "Dawn." Not Mrs. Miller. Not Mrs. M. Not even Sebastian's Mom. Can you ever in your life remember it being acceptable to call a friend' mom by her first name? When did this shift happen? While I am not eager to be known as Mrs. Miller, I have to admit that there is something about being on a first name basis with your child's peers that is disconcerting...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
He COULD be calling you "G" (as in "what up, G?") or "Beyotch".
Oh please, I know you secretly can't wait to be called Mrs. Miller and it just burns you up to not get it.
Come on, what did you call your friends' moms? I can't remember, but I think I didn't use names, just talked to them without a formal address. I know I didn't use the "Mrs." But I also don't think I used the first name. I'm fine with being on a first name basis with kids.
I still feel weird calling my childhood friend's (or even college friends for that matter) by their first names, so i'm with ya.
i think it's just a different generation. kids, now-a-days, are punk-asses. or maybe it's because your husband and other people probably don't refer to you as 'mom' or 'mother' or 'Ms. Miller' but instead, call you Dawn. mew?
it could be sooo much creepier, you and your husband could refer to each other as mother and father. that always scared me when people on freaky tv shows did that. EEWWWWWW!
friend's parents...not my friends...gawed. why is it when you can't edit, you always forget the word that is somewhat critical to the sentence.
it's rarely "i went to the mall and it was awful." instead of, i went to the "freakin' mall and it was awful.' no. it's "I went to the and it was awful."
Post a Comment