And I am not just talking about having her hands, either. I locked myself out of the house today. No spare key hidden where is was supposed to be. No cell phone. No wallet. No diapers for toddler. And it brought back every memory I had of my mother accidentally locking us kids of the house when I was growing up.
It happened so often that we ended up getting a dial-lock (oh yes, think rotary phone on your door knob) on the front door instead of a keyed lock. She still managed to get around that one by locking the screen door. But my favorite memory was having my brother find a screw driver in the shed and unscrew the screen on the bathroom window then hoisting me (the youngest and smallest) through the bathroom window. Good times.
All this boils down to the fact that already, at 34, I apparently need to put ginkgo biloba on my grocery list to stave off this particular genetic trait...
Monday, October 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
OK,
A) I don't remember mom locking us all out....
B) Since when are you only 34?
Well, you are SEVEN YEARS OLDER. And if memory serves, she didn't start locking us out till she went back to work which means you would have been high school age or older...
Oh yeah I totally remember Mom locking us out, how can you forget, most of the times we ended up at one of the neighbors until she got home from work. McCoys or the Heutons. Still do not remember!? It was like a weekly event when we got home from school, shit door locked Mom at work. Then along came the dial lock, remember Dad's crazy way of remember the dial lock number- 9-3=6 (first number), plus 2= 8 (second number) and so on until all four digits were obtained. I could not remember the math equation to remember the damn number. Good times!
OH yeah, you can ask Lisa the numerous times I have locked myself out of my house....
Yeah, this isn't the first time I have locked myself out either...
**sigh**
Oh god, the Dial Lock. That should almost be its own post. Trying to remember that damn number was a pain in the ass. And didn't it freeze up once when the weather got below zero? Nothing worse than having to take your mitten off to stick your finger on frozen metal in the middle of winter to get in the house...
I think I was always hanging out at friends houses right up until supper time. I think in high school, I never came home after school. Funny. I missed out on all that stuff.
Post a Comment