Holy shit really was the first thing to pop into my head when I heard my son say "Well, god dammit we missed the light" this morning on the way to school. Then I had to have him repeat it to make sure it wasn't a trick of my genetically crappy hearing. Yup. He repeated it without any embarrassment whatsoever.
Now, of all the swear words to come out of his mouth, at the advanced age of 7 no less, this was pretty minor. And yes, I did go into the a brief explanation that "dammit" really isn't a good word and you could use "darn it" in the future. Which he promptly did. But still, there was a tiny part of me that was so proud...
Thursday, October 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So, what did he say after you lectured him on the evils of "goddammit"?
"shit, mom, chill the fuck out" ?
:)
At which point I would have refered him to his Grandma (the "chips belong in a bowl" Grandma), the same one who inadvertantly taught him to spell and say "fuck" this summer.
His actual reaction was more of a "whatever, grown ups have weird rules" look.
Ok now you need to tell the story of how chips belong in a bowl Grandma taught him the work fuck?
When my daughter was 3, she one day said to our then puppy as she was trying to get up into a chair and Dora (the dog) was nipping at her legs. she said.... Dora you damn dog! you damn dog! I said, what did you say, she looked at me and said, damn dog. I explained, oooo we really should not say damn dog maybe Dora no! I then had to say, Mommy will be right back, ran upstairs to laugh my ass off! Really nothing funnier then hearing a 3 year old repeat what you have been saying about the puppy and in the correct context.
Post a Comment