Wednesday, October 24, 2007

allow me to step up on my soap box...

Why do people homeschool? Or, even more frightening in the age of global warming, carschool? As if I didn't hate the ModernMom email that I get (and am too lazy to unsubscribe to), they had an article today about homeschooling. I am too tired to homeschool. I don't remember the quadratic formula and, most telling of all, I barely have the patience to play a game with my 7 year old let alone try to teach him phonics. Somehow I feel that my degree in Communication Studies with its emphasis on Film and Video leaves me less than qualified to teach math. "Because I said so!" just doesn't quite cover questions like why 2+4=6 the way it does with "Why do I have to clean my room?"

Now, I am sure there are some perfectly happy, socially superior kids out there being homeschooled right now. And to you, more power to you. But it ain't for me and I will club anyone who makes me.

I will step down now.

1 comment:

eM said...

Yup. Thank you. Don't understand it at all. I know of a few people who do it who are actually awesome (the hippie kind of homeschooling people who are just neat and not trying to prove anything). Then there is everybody else and wow, freaks me out.

I can do math, but I still don't want to spend my entire day teaching it to my kid. I figure helping with homework and when they have a problem is a good use of that. Spending all day doing it? Well, I actually like my family, so would feel bad if I was forced to either hurt them or be taken away from them after going on a tri-state killing spree.