As I was contemplating my next trip to the yarn store (it's all about the zen, people, and with 2 kids, I need all the damn zen I can get during the day when alcohol just isn't a socially acceptable solution...), I began wondering at the dicotomy that is "homemade" versus that which is "handmade."
Homemade brings nightmares of ill-fitting clothes of ugly fabric while handmade conjures up visions of haute couture and careful craftsmanship. If I knit a sweater for my child it is homemade and they never want to wear it but if I sell the same sweater in a boutique I can get a mint for it AND be assured it will be passed down as an heirloom. Homemade means sad hippy freak homeschooled child. Handmade means old money, classy, ivy league prep school ass. What's the point of all this? Nothing. Other than the realization that I will now tell my kids that anything I made for them is handmade just to see if I can get them to wear it after age 4...
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment