Friday, May 26, 2006

even worse than paper vs. plastic...

...is cloth vs. disposable. My husband and I spent most of my first pregnancy going round and round on that issue. Five years later you finally have a third choice.

Flushable diapers.

Why hasn't this solved all of our dilemmas? No diapers in landfills. No harsh chemicals needed to clean them. You can even compost the wet only ones. Compost. Now we are at the heart of the issue. My husband wants to compost all the wet ones and I refuse to have to run around the house 4 times a day to do it. I challenge him to come up with a solution and I promise a picture when he does...

7 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

I'll be waiting for this image.

Also, whenever I'm holding Charlotte, I want her to be wearing the industrial-strength plastic ones. :)

dawn said...

I'll throw a double liner in it for just you...

Lisa said...

So, I take it you are using the flushable ones. How does that really work b/c I can't even flush tampons at my house without a standing order at Roto Rooter.

Lisa said...

I would also like to go on record and say that this is not a diffucult discussion to us normal folk here in the sticks.

Here is our conversation about cloth vs. disposable:

Him: Should we use cloth diapers?

Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

end of converstaion.

dawn said...

Yeah, I should have known mom was a little off her rocker - not only did she say she never felt better than when pregnant, but she also claimed to have loved doing loads of clothe diapers and folding them. Maybe it was the only chance she had to sit...

Jege (Jen) said...

Our parents used cloth diapers because it was too expensive to use the store-bought ones.

Being the oldest, I vividly remember having to rinse out my younger sisters' diapers in the toilet, and then put them in the diaper pail. I still remember that goddamned yellow diaper pail with the duckie graphic on it...and how I had to clothespin my nose to open the fucker.

The stench could kncok a buzzard off a shitwgaon.

dawn said...

You know, it's good to be the youngest...