Wednesday, May 24, 2006

apparently, I am not serious enough...

About getting a new washer and dryer, that is. Pretty much all my appliances are in a slow death march to ruin and the one currently winning is the dryer. Now, my husband is famous for his excel spreadsheets when it comes to major purchases and I am more of a "Honey, let's just go to Sears and pick one out" kind of person. Therein lies the problem. I am drying my hair this morning and here is the conversation we had:

Him: Sometime this week could you go to the library.
Me: Sure. Why?
Him: To look at the Consumer Reports on washers and dryers.
Me: (silence and a look of "you are serious?")
Him: Well, if you aren't serious about getting a washer and dryer this weekend, then fine, you aren't serious.

Now, many of you might be thinking, hey, that's a major purpose and she should just do her research and shut the hell up. But what you don't understand is, I have already been to all the major appliance stores with my husband. And 5 year old. We did that when I was still pregnant. Months ago. Sears. Standard TV and Appliance. Circuit City. Home Depot. Lowe's. I pretty much know which one I want, but somehow, without an excel spreadsheet and Consumer Reports backing me up, I am just not serious enough.

**sigh**

9 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

Wanna know how we bought our washer & dryer?

Devin & I went to standard tv & appliance "just to look" (his words). I asked the first salesperson we saw to show us his cheapest high-efficiency W&D (the ones with the "sideways" washer). He did ($800 each!!), and then I asked him how much last year's model was. He then led us to last year's model, and I announced that we would take it.

In your face, Devin!!!!

dawn said...

One trip?!? That's it?!! Damn, I am so jealous...

Jege (Jen) said...

I told Devin about this and he said: "They have a credit card, right?" Meaning that you should just go buy one while Eric is at work.

dawn said...

Now that is a stroke of brilliance...

Jege (Jen) said...

And it came from DEVIN! Can you believe it? I think he's getting smarter, and I'm getting dumber. It's not fair.

dawn said...

We did it! We bought a washer and dryer and it only took 1 excel spreadsheet, 1 borrowed Consumer Reports, 1 yellow pad of paper complete with clipboard, 6 hours, 4 stores and 1 return trip to Standard TV and Appliance. They will be delivered on Tuesday. Thank god.

Jege (Jen) said...

Yay Dawn! I guess you were serious enough!! ;)

Lisa said...

Need I say it again???
E i a f!

Can't you just go buy the cute one? Or the one you saw on tv? Or the second from the cheapest one?

I'm exhausted just reading about all it took...

dawn said...

You know what cracks me up, we ended up pretty much buying the second one up from the cheapest.