Thursday, February 02, 2006

fire pretty, smell bad...


To add a little excitment to my morning, I decided it was high time I accidentally set something on fire in the kitchen. So, my public service announcement of the day is, always check the bottom of your tea kettle for a coaster stuck on it **before** putting it on the stove to reheat.

(In my defense, the coaster stayed on the kettle for the entire trip from the living room to the kitchen, while I refilled the kettle with water and back to the stove.)

8 comments:

dawn said...

Thanks. Sebastian is miffed I didn't get a picture of the flames.

Jege (Jen) said...

NICE!

Jege (Jen) said...

What's that silver thing in the picture?

dawn said...

Tongs. After I had doused the fire I figured I should get it off the electric burner...

Lisa said...

What did you douse it with? I knew a woman once whose pizza in the oven caught fire. She was in a panic and couldn't remember what you should throw on a fire, baking soda or flour. She threw flour.

Does anyone ever remember in a panic the fire extinguisher that they probably bought the first week in their new houses? I probably wouldn't.

dawn said...

Well, I did remember that flour is a no-no, and I would have had to go down steps to find the fire extinguisher, didn't want to clean up baking soda or salt, so I stuck with water. Though the flames were impressively high (but really controlled - kind of like watching sterno), it really only took a few tablespoons of water dribbled on it to put it out.

Jege (Jen) said...

You know what REALLY works well on kitchen fires? LEGOs. Puts 'em right out.

dawn said...

Oh man. It was bad enough listening to Eric bemoan using water on the fire (It's an electric stove! You could have damaged the circuits!), god only knows what he would have done if a pile of lego was sacrificed to the cooking gods...