Ok, so I have a tradition. I make my husband sit through the opening ceremonies of the Olympics - Winter and Summer - eat greek salads, get stupid on whatever the alcoholic beverage of choice of the host country is and make snarky comments about whatever we can. This started in the midwest when prime time sensibly started at 7pm. Now we live where it starts at 8. Fine. I am pregnant, which cuts down considerably on getting stupid on alcohol, but I will be sufficiently hungry to eat the salad through out the night. Or so I thought until I realized that NBC was going to milk the whole damn thing even further. I knew it was going to be tape delayed coverage. I am fine with tape delayed coverage. Do I need to fuck around watching practice ski runs while waiting for an extra hour? Do I really want MORE hype on all the already thoroughly media saturated American athletes? Hell no! Do I want to hear one more time how many hours NBC will eventually be covering the Olympics when they get around to getting off their asses and actually showing the opening ceremonies instead of talking more about how many hours they are going to cover all the sports on every channel they can? I don't fucking care anymore.
I just want my goddamned abstract, totally bizarre, always over the average American's head symbolism-wise opening ceremonies to start at 8 not 9pm. Call me crazy but I would like to see the fucking flame lit before midnight when I could probably go online and see who won the first damned medal already. Which, if I wanted to see on NBC, I would have to wait another 24 hours for.
Saturday, February 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment