I had forgotten just how dusty a road it is. And why would one willingly take a trip down said lane? For that, I can thank my husband.
Saturday night. Date night. The kids are in bed. All work is done. I am ready to drink and watch a really bad movie. "Honey! Will it be The Transporter? Shaun of the Dead? More wine? Vodka tonic? Both?!?"
"I think we should go to the basement and go through all those boxes."
Wha....????
And then he says the magic words.
"I am ready to throw out all of my old architectural magazines"
I practically sprinted to the basement. Those damn things have been the bane of my existence for years. Boxes and boxes of them have been moved from location to location because he couldn't bear to be parted from them. What if he suddenly needed to know what building won design of the year for 2002??? What if he needed to look up what "green" architecture meant in 1998???? I mean, he couldn't find that information ANYWHERE else at the touch of, say a keyboard or anything. Could he???? But I digress...
The boxes. Some of them haven't been opened since 1999. I found things I had forgotten I even owned. I found things that I can't believe I ever wore. By the time we got to the boxes with our old high school and college stuff (and, because my mother-in-law is who she is, E also had his old ELEMENTARY school stuff to go through), it was a time capsule. I am sad to say that my old Trapper Keeper didn't make it. But somehow my puffy Cabbage Patch stickers did.
Oh man, we threw out a LOT of crap. Notes. Old Christmas cards. Old cd's. My old magazines - although I have to admit, I did keep an old 16 magazine because it had Duran Duran on the cover. And even though there wasn't nearly enough alcohol consumed during the process, I do now have a very clean basement...
Monday, October 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
AT least you did not move a box of boxes, my husband thinks it is necessary to save boxes to stuff because we may need it some day... R-I-G-H-T! We moved in April and I got home to find that he had done some packing, I was like yes! Come to find out it was a box of boxes.... I have cleverly marked.... Tom's stupid box of boxes! Come to my basement and I will show you this dumb box!!!
Oh, make no mistake, I also have empty boxes from every piece of electronic equipment currently in use. Why do men love empty boxes???
"Shaun of the Dead" is NOT a bad movie!!!!!
Oh Jege, of course it isn't a BAD movie! I love that movie with all my heart. I use "bad movie" as a term of endearment.
Post a Comment