Monday, November 12, 2007

the basement remodel: what's that SMELL?!?

I don't even want to think about how long this thing has been going on any more but I did find out something this weekend, low or no VOC paint is worth it. I found myself painting walls to pretty them up for the home inspector (don't ask, really, just don't) who will hopefully come this week and either close out our permit (hurray!) or tell us what else needs to be done to close it out (rats.).

Because it is our luck, we couldn't find the paint that matches the ugly lavendar color that is in the back entryway leading to the basement. One misunderstanding on the scope of the project (again, don't ask) and one custom paint color (that we didn't use) later, I am painting gray. Stinky gray. I don't know what happened to this can of paint, but it goes WAY beyond any overwhelming "paint" smell and catapults right to "rotten paint stench." And man does it linger...

So, for all of you wondering if you should pay extra for no VOC paint, I say splurge. Your lack of headache will thank you.

2 comments:

Karla said...

SOOO???!!! How was the check out? Has your child moved down there yet?

dawn said...

Oh god. We haven't called the inspector yet. We are going to hunt up the number this weekend and hopefully get someone here before Thanksgiving. going furniture shopping tomorrow with Lisa too...