The park. For most people it is a wonderful, outdoors-y place full of fresh air and sunshine. For the stay-at-home mom? It's often an exercise in boredom. Now, don't give me that old crap about only boring people get bored. I love my kids but watching them scoop sand for an hour or two will try the patience of Mother Theresa - dead or alive.
What does one do at the park, then, while making sure your little darling isn't flinging sand or falling off the slide? I usually have one ear tuned for names because I gotta tell ya, there are some wacky ones out there. Especially in Portland. Lots of the "so far out, it's cool again" type. I have heard Agatha, Doris, Emmet and god knows what else lately. Usually I am listening to hear if anyone else has the same name as my child and so far I have not come across too many of either name. Not so lucky the poor Madison's and Henry's of this generation...
The other thing I am doing is checking out kids clothes. I am no fashionista by any standard but I do find it interesting how people dress their kids - especially at the park. Sure, kids will often put together their own wacky outfits and those are easy to spot, but still, the ultimate blame for a particular item alwasy goes to the parent who purchased it. Here are 2 tshirt sayings that have helped break up the boredom at the park lately:
"my parents call me no"
and the ultimate shout out to all lesbian moms - "my dad's name is donor"
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
OK, I want that "no" t-shirt for my 2 kids! Love that.
When my cousin was a toddler, everyone was worried that he was gonna grow up to think that his name was "no no Colin".
Post a Comment