Not too many people know that I have a deep, abiding love of the trashy romance novel. Matter of fact, part of the reason that this blog has the url "readme readmenot" is because my sister is forever bugging me about new authors to read and I figured this would be a great way to keep track of them. But I digress.
The last time I was at the library I picked up a paper back by one of my favorite authors. The plot synopsis on the back was a little goofy, but I was desparate for something new to read. Of course, it was after I got home and started it that I checked the publishing date. 1982. Oh yeah, baby, back when women were virgins and the men were dominant. Honestly, I am having a hard time finishing the thing. The spineless heroine isn't even the deal-breaker for me, it really comes down to the fact that the main character insists on using the phrase "baby" EVERY TIME he talks to the heroine. In the bedroom. In the office (at which, of course, he is literally her boss). Even in front of foreign diplomats. It just goons me out every time I read it. I am guessing it is because I saw Dirty Dancing one too many times and it brings back the "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" line.
Oh yeah, and because IT'S LAME, baby.
Monday, April 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's strange to think that in the 80's (yes the 1980's) they were pretty much still figuring out that women have brains and can use them. It really was the first decade though if you think about it that women were really starting to be accepted in the workplace.
Gee, we've come a long way, baby.
Post a Comment