Wednesday, April 11, 2007

i have GOT to get out of the house more...

It was bad enough the other day when I was staring at the bottom of my stock pot, squinting in a trance trying to decide if my flour was golden brown or not yet. But today, my friends, I hit ROCK BOTTOM. I made my own Kitchen Bouquet.

Now, for those of you lucky enough not to know what it is, it is a weird bottle of brown liquid used in a great many midwestern recipes. Seeing as how I have t-ball practice today at 5:30, I busted out the crock pot yet again so I didn't have to worry about supper while watching my son count bugs in the outfield. Beef Stew. And me with no Kitchen Bouquet. Do I let that stop me? Hell no! I have the internet. One quick Google search later, I am digging out my brown sugar and small sauce pan and making my own. American ingenuity! Resourceful! Thrifty! And not just a little FREAKY. Plus, it smelled - burning sugar is not so nice.

Seriously though, as I was stirring my sugar and contemplating the shades of dark brown while trying to hold my nose, I realized, I really gotta get out of the house more often... Drinks anyone?

6 comments:

Karla said...

I am from the midwest and have NEVER used kitchen bouquet, never even had the stuff in my home. So I would never had the need to even try and make ths stuff. You really need to get out more!

dawn said...

Mom used to have a bottle of it right next to the Liquid Smoke (!!). Nasty, brown stained, 10 yr old bottle if it was a day. AND Lisa copped to the fact that she has one which means she even moved it out here from the midwest.

Karla said...

Then both you girls need to get out more! I would not even know what to use it in or for, including liquid smoke.

Lisa said...

ok, MOM bought the kitchen bouquet for me b/c she wanted to make gravy at Thanksgiving. I think they only times my bottle has been used have been by mom. I'm not that Becky Homecky either!

Karla said...

So it is used for old school cooking....

dawn said...

Completely Old School - the recipe came straight from my Corning Ware Crock Pot cookbook. And I have to admit, best stew EVER. Must have been the homemake Kitchen Bouquet.