Thursday, February 15, 2007

deaf and dumb

I feel somewhat like Annie Sullivan must have felt when Hellen Keller figured out her first word. Stunned that I might actually be communicating and yet quite skeptical that I might actually be communicating.

As I am putting my daughter down for her nap I watched her make what could have been the sign for more and food. Now, with a 10 month old baby, let's just say that you have to be very loose in your interpretations of hand gestures. Especially since she really hasn't shown any interest in them before. At all. So I go get some O's and to my amazement she horks in a handful, one at a time. Then puts her hand out and says "Duh" which is her version of "Done." Angels were singing. A heavenly light was shining down. Tears of joy may even have been shimmering in my eyes. And then she realized that since she was done eating it meant it was nap time again. All that good will went to hell in a handbasket as we slid right back in to our usual nap time routine of me tucking her in and making her toys do their noise, and her screaming her head off.

No comments: