That was my reaction last night as we were folding said curtains. It is a long and belabored story that I won't get into now but suffice it to say, I am not a girl who irons.
Now, I like to think I keep a neat house and that my cleanliness standards are pretty high. That said, I have made my peace with a few things. The first is dust. There is an often quoted line by my mother from me as a kid doing chores saying that I had made my peace with dust and really didn't feel the need to do it any more. That feeling has stayed with me. I dust quarterly unless a special occasion arises. Please don't do the white glove test at my house if you are over for drinks. You will only be disappointed.
The second thing I have long learned to live with are wrinkles in fabric. Hence the title of the post. I haven't ironed a piece of my own clothing in YEARS. My husband irons his own stuff mainly because he knows I just won't and secondly because his ironing standards are far higher (a statement which won't shock anyone who knows him). Therefore the thought of ironing 8 panels of 98 inch long curtains had my head spinning. Let's just say that the chances of those curtains getting ironed before they are hung are about as good as the bedrooms getting dusted before moving everyone one bedroom to the left...
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
SAY WHAT!!!! I am the sister who's OCD has reach an all time high, with my house on the market I am dusting 2 to 3 times a week, yes, drives my husband crazy! I mop floors at least 2 times a week and sweep almost every night. To hear that you did not dust before moving bedrooms one door to the left really hit home that I have an issue with my OCD because we would have dusted, washed walls and vacuumed every inch of the room before any thing was moved in and/or out..... I know call me crazy!
I honestly believe that part of it is the stay-at-home mom thing. I figure my kids have to get their germs somewhere if they are going to keep up with the day care kids when they all get to kindergarten so I stop freaking about things like shopping carts and dust. Now, when someone gets sick, stand back cause the Lysol comes out and the laundry is endless...
You are both whacked out on either ends of the spectrum!
K - NO WAY do you need to dust 2-3 times a week. You just can't have anything to actually remove! Also, washing walls before moving one person out of a room and moving the other in? Come on. That is even beyond Fran standards.
D-You are totally lax 97% of the time and then freak out when you do happen to get a germ in the house?
Maybe a happy medium is in order here.
Pfffft. The woman who wrote the All God's Creatures post thinks she is the voice of moderation???
Nice one D about the All Gods Creatures Yes I am a freak! We have glass top tables and they collect dust right after you dust, it seems like. I have an OCD!
well...uhhhhh....hmmmmm
I was going to say as a handy tip: put the curtains in the dryer for a few minutes and pull them out right away and hang them. there will be no wrinkles. Or if there are they will be barely acceptable on the Miller radar.
Post a Comment