We tried watching Fox and the Hound tonight for movie night. Tried. The VERY FIRST SCENE has the baby fox being orphaned by an off screen hunter. Bang. Game over. At least in Bambi I got introduced to Thumper and Flower before I had to worry about scarring my child with death. Everyone loves Finding Nemo but the next sentence out of every parents mouth when talking about it is, my kid hates the shark scene where Nemo's mom died. For giggles, here are all the Disney movies I can think of off hand where Walt kills off a parent or the main character is an orphan...
Bambi
Fox and the Hound
Finding Nemo
Aladdin
The Rescuers
The Jungle Book
The Lion King
Tarzan
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think every kid fantasizes about their parents' death. Not REALLY, but the notion of being an orphan and having adventures unsupervised seems to be a recurring theme.
Case in point: Harry Potter. Also, in "The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe" (as well as all of the other books in the Chronicles of narnia), the kids technically are not orphans, but they are "away" from their parents. And every other book that I loved as a child also has kids sent away to boarding schools, or spending the summer with a neglectful aunt or uncle. It's the ultimate in kid escapism.
All I can say is, Walt had some mommy issues. Bill Nye was better anyway.
Walt Disney was a total woman-hating asshole.
At least that is what a friend said after taking a class on the guy.
Oh, now that's not true. He loved women who were weak, beautiful and willing to do housework and liked to sing with wild animals - what the fuck was up with that anyway? Who sings duets with birds???
I agree with Em, he was a total misogynist. Why not kill off the dad in the first scene? Well, the kid's life wouldn't change that much. No story.
Good point, Lisa.
Post a Comment