Wednesday, June 24, 2009

ode to a dad

In honor of Father's Day last weekend, here is my "only a dad could do that" story of the year...

The other day I noticed that my 3 yr old had a sliver on her hand. Of course, such things are taken care of by Dad. Not because he is gentle, oh no. Precisely because he is NOT gentle. You see, not only do I get to hem and haw in the corner cringing with empathy at each cry of pain, but then I get to say to my kids on the playground things like:

"Put your shoes on! Otherwise you are going to get slivers in your feet which your father will have to get out and HE IS NOT GENTLE!"

That said, I forgot about it for a day. I remembered when getting ready for bed, hours after bedtime and casually mentioned it to my husband as something to take care of the next morning.

He looked at me like I had grown a third head. Then he grabbed his tools and headed to her bedroom. After 10pm. She is finally sound asleep. I about passed out. There isn't a mom on this planet that would try that stunt.

LET SLEEPING KIDS (and dogs) LIE!!!!!!!

In he marched armed with his tweezers and lamp(!!!!) and proceeded to go after the sliver. And damned if he didn't get it out. With nary a whimper out of my daughter. Again, I about passed out from sheer amazement. Then, he kicked it up a notch. He completely through caution to the wind. HE WENT FOR THE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE.

And damned if she didn't sleep through that, too. So, to all the dads out there with the balls to try such stunts, I salute you! I still think you are bat-shit crazy, but there are times when dad's do know best...

4 comments:

Karla said...

My only comment would have been, if she wakes up...you are on duty and I AM NOT, WILL NOT HELP PUT HER BACK TO BED. Wash my hands of that....

dawn said...

Oh he knew. I was whisper-shouting objections the entire time...

Karla said...

whisper shouting.... that is funny.

Lisa said...

That is pretty funny.
Oh Eric.