Sunday, June 21, 2009

csa: week 1

We joined a CSA - that's Community Supported Agriculture. I am from IOWA and I didn't know what the hell that was. Farmer's Market? Sure, got that. Farm subsidy? I could fake a good answer. CSA? ....hmmm.... Guessing no science, DNA or Grissom....but I digress...

We signed up AGES ago. We did the farm tour WEEK(S) ago. FINALLY we had the first pickup. We pick up our bag-o-goodies at the park a block and a half from my house once a week and although I was warned repeatedly by those who had tried similar things before, after week one, I am still smitten. I got strawberries (which, not be sprayed pretty much went bad within 2 days in my fridge), rhubarb (nature's sweet tart), lettuce, an onion, a bag of pinto beans, kohlrabi and a calendula plant. All in all, not bad. I made a pie, lots of salad and planted a pretty yellow flower.

Stay tuned to see if I am cursing cabbage in the weeks to come...

1 comment:

Karla said...

In the insurance world CSA is customer service associate.