Wednesday, July 09, 2008

ode to a midwestern salad

Summer in the midwest means salads. Often it's potato salad and absolutely everyone makes it a little differently even if the core ingredients really never change. And when I was a kid it didn't matter WHOSE potato salad it was, I didn't like it anyway.

One word, mayo.

It's one of 4 ingredients found in virtually every midwestern salad. And it's probably the top one, but lets review the other 3 as well...

1. Mayo
2. Bacon
3. Cool whip (not whipped cream, full on Cool Whip - also useful for the containers!)
4. Jello

We midwesterners get wacky with salads. We are not afraid to mix veggies with jello. Hell, we'll even top it with cool whip. Or throw in marshmallows. Or both. Lately, I found myself craving the broccoli/cauliflower salad my mom used to make when I was a kid (and wouldn't touch then with a 10 ft pole). Check out the ingredient list:

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Onion
Bacon
Raisins
And a dressing of: Mayo, vinegar and sugar.

Yup. Mom made it for me when I was on vacation. And I ate half of it all by myself. This summer I am vowing to plow through some standby potluck salads because I am heartily sick of my standard Baked Potato Salad and because I am feeling nostalgic from my trip back. Hopefully my arteries can take it...

3 comments:

Karla said...

Do Portlanders NOT eat anything that taste good? Or includes sour cream, mayo, bacon or cool whip? Dang you guys need to learn how to EAT! Eat good food that is....

dawn said...

Sure we do. We just have a different definition of "good." Especially the vegans. I am still not down with vegan baked goods. I am sorry, but you just can't make a good muffin without eggs.

Lisa said...

In the name of "healthy", Portlanders have conditioned themselves to think they like shit like Snap Pea Crisps, which are trying to be Cheese Curls, but made with pea pods - and no cheese. I say they don't know what good food is any more. Sure they might live longer perhaps, but where's the fun in that without real good food?