Sunday, February 17, 2008

pet peeve #2- it must be modified

For some uneplained reason, NOTHING can come into my house unless it has to be modified somehow. It is completely irritating. Do you need a "for instance?" I got a million of them...

Most recently, refer back to my post about ironing curtains. I hate ironing. With a WHITE HOT PASSION. And yet, what did I do today? I ironed fucking curtains. Why? Not to make them less wrinkled necessarily, but to hem them. Yes, to HEM THEM. I hate sewing EVEN MORE than I hate ironing and dusting but because I didn't read the fine print while buying curtains at IKEA, I found myself twisting my sister's arm into helping me hem curtains. OY.

Need another "for instance"? We bought furniture for our bedroom. But we had to add pulls.

Need another? We bought a composter but had to add a chute so we could access it from the kitchen.

Need another? We were looking for furniture for my son's bedroom. Didn't like a particular line because it had black. My husband says, but honey, we can always paint it. NOOOOOOO!!!! I just want to buy something and have it BE WHAT I WANT FROM THE START.

Is that so wrong???? Even more importantly, why is that apparently so expensive???

5 comments:

Karla said...

At least you do not go the other direction.... "oh we can save money of we do it ourselves"
R-I-G-H-T!!! If we would have just hired it done it #1 would have been done sooner. #2 would have cost less #3 would have been done that same day we started the stupid project!

Jege (Jen) said...

Do you still want the desk? I don't care what you paint it, I just want it out of my kitchen.

dawn said...

I still want the desk. And I'll stain it black. And I'll love it even for the extra work.

And Karla, we go the other direction too. How else would it have taken 2 YEARS to finish the basement?

Karla said...

Ok the difference is that your hubby can actually do the work, mine CANNOT!!! Then we pay extra for all his fuck ups!

Lisa said...

D-You forgot about the cabinet thing your tv is sitting on. He had to add a top and edging to that rather than just finding another one that would work.

Oh yea, and Miles' bed - Eric said he would have bought it and then cut it down to a twin size.

Sorry Dawn....I feel your pain.