Thursday, October 06, 2005

life is too short to wear ugly clothes...

Now, to many this may seem obvious, but as I am trying to find something to wear this morning, it became a battle cry. I am just shy of 16 weeks pregnant which means I look fat in my regular clothes and like a deflated hot air balloon in maternity clothes. Maternity clothes. Let me digress for a minute...

Now, women who have never been pregnant view maternity clothes as a novelty. They are cute things to wear that signal to the world that you are about to bring your precious firstborn into the world. To women have are pregnant with their second child? They are the signal that your ass is about to become the size of Texas. Not only that, but many maternity clothes makers these days are trying to make their items as trendy as possible. Now, I am all for trendy. For once, it makes sense because by the time the trend goes out of style you won't be needing the clothes again. But really, they take it too far. Do I really need sparkly designs on the pocket of my jeans calling out specifically my ass the size of Texas? No thanks. A fitted, shrunken jacket to call further attention to my belly and the state of my back fat? Pass. Now, to be fair, there are nice maternity clothes out there, you just have to wade through a whole lot of crap to find it and I for one, just don't enjoy shopping that much for the process to be fullfilling.

That said, I will apologize to my husband and son right now for the clothing tornado that will be my bed for the next few weeks while I frantically search for something to wear that I think is still mildy flattering but really, when you get right down to it, life is too short to wear ugly clothes.

2 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

Well put, Dawn. This was a very Laurie Notaro-esque post. :)

dawn said...

Why thank you. It came from the heart. And the belly...