Wednesday, September 28, 2005

why, god, why? why bob dylan???

I have 5 channels of tv. No cable. Usually my saving grace channel is PBS - yes, I am a geek. For the past 2 nights, however, I have been subjected to a documentary on Bob Dylan. Now, as a film studies student in college I had to endure DA Pennebaker's 60's documentary "Don't Look Back" and that was enough. I didn't get it then. The man can't sing. He. Can't. Sing. Period.

Now, there are going to be people jumping down my ass for the fact that they think he is a gifted songwriter. Fine. There are people who think he is an amazing musician. Fine. He may even be called an icon for the impact his music has had on this country and other musicians to follow. FINE. But for the love of god, just don't let him sing his own music!!!! That's all I am asking. Is it so much???

7 comments:

Jege (Jen) said...

I know what I'm getting Dawn for christmas...and it rhymes with Rob Mylan's Greatest Hits.....

dawn said...

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

Did you like the punk rock thing better?

eM said...

I agree. We watched it too. The songs are beautifully written and the melodies are great, but I was telling my husband Dylan that wow, the best versions of the songs are so not done by him.

dawn said...

I would rather listener to Shatner
"sing" Mr. Tambourine Man over Bob and man, that's just not right...

dawn said...

Oh I hate it when you catch a grammatical error AFTER you have posted a comment...

Lisa said...

Is that the one where he (Shatner) is smoking and reciting some song in a meaningful poetic way? I love that one.