Wednesday, February 17, 2010

gallows humor, mom style

You know how police make jokes about the crazy stuff they deal with to stay sane? So do moms. Handing my daughter an organic fruit leather yesterday in the car with friends on the way to a morning outing prompted this string of gems that comes partly from having kids and mostly from having kids in Portland. It all started with the observation that kids in this town wouldn't be swayed to go with a stranger just by the lure of candy any more...

"Is that an organic sucker made with all natural fruit juice? No? Sorry, can't go with you mister."

"I'm not allowed to have sugar."

"Does your van run on bio-diesal? I am supposed to watch my carbon foot print. Don't you have a bike trailer?"

"Unless it's a hybrid, I won't get in."

You get the idea. It let me blow off steam and I needed that laugh...

No comments: