Thursday, June 05, 2008

the biannual thermostat war has begun

For my husband, there is no greater time of year than when he gets to turn the furnace off. He's not home during the day, NOTHING makes him crankier than waking up hot because the furnace kicked on before he was ready to get up and frankly he just doesn't ever really get cold.

I, on the other hand, am never warm. I could catch a chill on an 80 degree day. I have summer mittens. Wool is my friend and there is a cardigan that has a sole purpose of keeping me warm in the evenings. You want to rock my world? Buy me cashmere. Consequently, we have differing opinions on just where the thermostat should be set. Especially in Spring and Fall.

Were it up to my husband, the furnace would ideally be off from May 1st till October 1st - November if he thought he could get away with it. Now, I realize it is June, but the forecast high today was in the mid-50's and my son was freaking out on me touching him with my cold hands this morning so I took a look at the thermostat. 64 degrees in my house. Yup, I did the unthinkable. I turned the furnace back on. Without telling my husband. For the second time this week.

I'd like to think that we could continue this trend of somewhat passive-aggressive thermostat warfare without launching into full scale attacks. But I am certainly not holding my breath. More like waiting patiently for him to implode while trying to figure out why-the-hell-the-thermostat isn't-working-and-turning-itself-back-on-when-he-KNOWS-he-turned-it-off-the-other-day. Just waiting...

No comments: