That is the quote I overheard from a 1st Grader this morning standing in the halls of my son's elementary school after dropping him off. The statement would be humorous enough coming from a kid that age but let me build the scene a little for you to thoroughly get why I nearly had to leave the room laughing...
Two 1st Graders, for whatever reason, go out to an outlet in the hallway with 2 electric pencil sharpeners and a whole pile of #2 pencils. And they procede to do the pencil sharpening equilalent of "grind it till you find it" to sharpen the whole stack. Every morning. All school year long. It's particularly entertaining seeing them do this on rainy days since they plunk their box down more or less in the middle of giant tracks of water and procede to plug in their sharpeners without a care in the world. Aw, youth....
What got me this morning was that one of the kids was having trouble. His sharpener was making noise, but not actually sharpening. He wasn't about to abandon his job yet to either seek a manual sharpener or another electric one. Oh no. He was going to do some investigating. Like sticking his finger in the side while the pencil was jammed in and motor spinning. (!!!!) That not producing results, he grabbed the piece of plastic he had removed to put his finger in. It was at this point he made the observation that "maybe it's a safety feature..." and I nearly lost my shit laughing.
Thursday, November 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Or maybe the damn thing was full of shavings and they need to empty the shavings drawer...duh. (i learned that from mine)
As I was watching them go through this ritual again a week later I realized that the piece of plastic they had pulled out was the shavings drawer. Alas, still just spinning and not sharpening...
Post a Comment