All I wanted to do was get my hair dried. Oh yes, and get my son to school on time without tears, shouts or bloodshed. Instead I find myself discussing shoes with him. My extremely literal 6 yr old. I mistakenly refered to his new shoes as "tennis shoes."
Mo-om, they are not "tennis" shoes!
After much confusion and discussion I learn that because he is not playing an actual tennis game in his shoes, they can not be called tennis shoes. We instead had to compromise. First with "athletic shoes" but I learned rather quickly that old habits die hard - especially when one is sleep deprived and lacking the first cup of coffee. Finally we agreed to disagree and call them "gym shoes." Of course, he was quick to point out that he didn't have gym today, he had music.
**sigh**
Thursday, September 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
"tennis shoes" or "tennies" must be a midwest thing. I still refer to them as that, but everybody else always stares at me as though I'm speaking japanese. Sort of like when I say "ramp" (as in "parking ramp")Apparently out here it's "Parking STRUC-TURE". Well la-tee-fucking da.
My sisters and I still giggle over an aunt of our calling them "tennie runners." And if it is a midwest thing, what does the rest of the country call them? It's like going shopping for a stove and finding out that the official term is "range."
Josh was just in here, and said that back east they say "sneakers".
And fuck "range"...it's a STOVE, goddamn it.
Sneakers. I'll let you know if that passes the 6 yr old test...
Ok, so I ran the term "sneakers" past the 6 yr old. His first question was why do they call them sneakers. His next question was why is there an "r" at the end, can't I call them sneaks? And then he brought it all full circle again by saying he really preferred "gym shoes."
Explain to him that they are shoes with rubber soles for sneaking around in, so no one will hear you while you're, you know, SNEAKING.
At least, that's always why I thought they were called sneakers.
And now it is not gym class. It is P.E.
We always called it "phy. ed". Like "FEYE-ED"
Post a Comment